By Ben MusanjeLawyers representing Daily Express journalist Remmy Asiteza are preparing to return to court to challenge his continued detention after Buganda Road Chief Magistrate’s Court remanded him to Luzira Prison until September 9, 2026.The legal team says it is seeking a production warrant to have Asiteza brought back before court, arguing that the circumstances surrounding his arraignment and subsequent remand were irregular and denied him an opportunity to properly exercise his rights as an accused person.Robert Benon Jurua, a Litigation Officer in the Rule of Law Department at the Uganda Law Society, said the lawyers were already taking steps to challenge the remand.“We are not going to be seated,” Jurua said, adding that the lawyers were preparing to apply for a production warrant.However, he said the application had been affected by technical difficulties with the court’s digital case management system, which had not yet linked the lawyers to Asiteza’s case file.“We are yet to be linked to the file, to the case on the system, so that you can apply for a production warrant,” he said.Asiteza was arrested on August 13, 2026, by security operatives and taken to Central Police Station (CPS), Kampala, according to his lawyers.He remained in custody until August 18, when his family and the public became aware of his whereabouts.The Uganda Journalists Association subsequently petitioned the Uganda Law Society to provide legal assistance to the journalist.Jurua said the Law Society followed up at CPS and was informed that Asiteza’s file had been transferred to Buganda Road Chief Magistrate’s Court.When the lawyers went to court, however, they were allegedly told that the file had not yet been allocated and that plea-taking would ordinarily take place at 2pm.The lawyers were therefore caught off guard when they later received a call informing them that Asiteza had already been taken before a magistrate and remanded.Jurua described the development as a “very bizarre scenario”, saying the hearing appeared to have taken place in less than five minutes.According to the lawyer, Asiteza later told his legal team that he had been called from the holding cell, taken to court and had the charges read to him before being remanded.The charges against him include publishing false news and broadcasting without a licence, offences the prosecution alleges contravene Section 103 of the Uganda Communications Commission Act.Asiteza pleaded not guilty.His lawyers, however, are particularly concerned that he was allegedly denied access to them during the proceedings despite telling the court that his lawyers were nearby.Jurua said the incident raises questions about the journalist’s right to legal representation and a fair hearing.The lawyers’ immediate legal strategy is therefore expected to focus on securing Asiteza’s production before court and challenging the basis and duration of his remand.Jurua also questioned the decision to remand Asiteza until September 9, arguing that the period is inconsistent with Section 122 of the Magistrates Courts Act.He said the law provides limits on adjournments and remand, particularly where an accused person has pleaded but has not had an opportunity to apply for bail because the relevant judicial or prosecution officers were unavailable.Asiteza’s legal team argues that he should not have been sent back to prison for three weeks without being given an opportunity to pursue bail.The lawyers are also expected to raise concerns about the circumstances under which the plea was taken, particularly the alleged denial of representation.The case has attracted attention because Asiteza’s arrest followed a report published by Daily Express concerning alleged corruption in the recruitment of Assistant Resident District Commissioners and Resident District Commissioners.The report raised allegations that about Shs15 billion could have been lost during the recruitment process and contained claims involving Minister for the Presidency Milly Babalanda.The allegations have since attracted wider public scrutiny, with President Yoweri Museveni reportedly directing the Internal Security Organisation to investigate the matter and submit its findings within two weeks.Asiteza’s detention has also drawn criticism from journalists’ organisations.The Uganda Journalists Association and the Independent Online Journalists Association of Uganda have called for his release and raised concerns about the implications of his arrest for press freedom and the treatment of journalists reporting on matters of public interest.The criminal case lists Juma Masuumi as the complainant, while State Attorney Joan Keko represents the prosecution.Asiteza is represented by Jurua, Atabua Shamil, Allan Wagobe and Brenda Bira.For now, the lawyers’ focus has shifted from preparing for the September 9 court date to seeking an earlier intervention.Jurua said the Law Society was dissatisfied with the way the case had been handled and would pursue available legal remedies.“The Uganda Law Society is very disappointed and strongly condemns these kind of actions by the judiciary,” he said.The proposed production warrant could bring Asiteza back before court before September 9 and give his lawyers an opportunity to formally challenge his detention, seek appropriate relief and potentially pursue bail.The next legal steps could therefore determine whether Asiteza remains in Luzira until September 9 or gets an earlier opportunity to challenge the charges and seek his release. (For comments on this story, get back to us on 0705579994 [WhatsApp line], 0779411734 & 041 4674611 or email us at mulengeranews@gmail.com).