‘The Big Push is pushing’ – Upper West MPs hail contractors delivering in the region

Wait 5 sec.

“The Big Push is pushing.” That was the verdict as the Upper West Parliamentary Caucus inspected roads under President John Dramani Mahama’s flagship infrastructure agenda on Thursday, August 20.Their message after a day on the ground: Praise for contractors who are delivering, pressure for those behind schedule, and a promise from the contractor that work will be done by 2028.Leading the team, Caucus Leader Dr. Sebastian Sandaare said the visit to the Mwankuri-Han and the Han-Nandawwaala-Kuntulo- Jeffisi-Tumu portions was to verify work on the ground. The project has been awarded to five contractors.“These are roads under His Excellency John Dramani Mahama that have been awarded under the Big Push. We are here to see for ourselves what is happening. After this, we will report our observations to the Minister of Roads,” he said.“What we want is for the roads to be done on time and to be of good quality. You know how we struggle and how bad our roads are. Our people are crying for quality work, and the work should also be completed on time.P&W Ghanem Limited received the flowers and special praise.Lawra MP Bede A. Ziedeng commended the contractor for “neat” and “fast” work.“Those who cannot do the work, let’s take the contract from them and give to people who can do it. Without this road, Upper West will continue to suffer,” Nadowli-Kaleo MP Anthony Sumah Mwinkaara was specific.“He has done the prime on one side and is just two kilometres away from putting the second seal. The entire stretch here has the second seal done. At the rate he is going, he is the only one we are sure will finish before time.” Wa West MP, Supt. Retired Peter Lanchene Toobu wrapped up the caucus remarks.“P&W Ghanem is showing class. He’s showing speed. He’s showing competence. If all the contractors were working like this, I am quite convinced nobody in the region would be raising issues about delays. So far, so very good.”“We have told them that some of them are behind schedule, and we expect them to speed up, to double up.Briefing the MPs, Caesar Ghanem, the CEO of P&W Ghanem, explained the scope. “The first project runs from Manco Reef and it is 22 kilometers. So far we have completed the prime seal. We are currently doing the first seal, and we still have to do the second seal. In total it will be three layers,” he said. He said the second project covers 25 kilometers: 15km from Nandom towards Lawra and 10km from Nandom towards Lambussie.“So far we have completed the fill formation. Currently we are preparing for the sub-base. Hopefully next week we will start that layer, then the base, and then the seal work.”On timelines, he was confident. “The project is expected to be completed before the deadline, which is January or February 2028. Each project has a duration of two years. As you can see, the first project has been sealed almost entirely. The remaining work will not take much time.” He added that the overlay of asphalt promised by the Roads Minister will come under a separate contract.“For now, this contract covers three layers of surface dressing: prime seal and first seal.”The caucus also visited the site of Greenhouse limited at the Kuntulo stretch heading to Jeffisi to see the progress of work.Lawra MP, Bede Ziedeng also commented on P&W Ghanem’s work on the Han-Domini-Lawra Road, where sub-base works are complete.For road users, the impact is already real. Mr Hudu Nafa says his trip from Wa to Tumuh has been transformed.“I used to take four to five hours. But now, I’ve only used one hour and twenty minutes. The road is very nice.”“Let’s give thanks and praises, and we’ll continue to vote for the government. We are only appealing that they should continue with the rest of the road. From Kanyininguase to Wa is the only place that is not good for us now.” Nurudin Saani of the NHIA agreed. “Previously the road was very terrible. You could use almost four hours to Wa. Now I used two hours. When JM was saying it, a lot of people had doubts. But it has really come to reality.”Nadowli-Kaleo MP Anthony Sumah raised concerns about deteriorating sections.“From Magazine down to Jang, it is so bad. This is a place that was tarred initially, but it has gone very bad. We cannot be building new roads and neglecting the old ones that need maintenance. If the contractor does not come on site, we will meet with the Minister and suggest decisive action,” he said.