Soldier killed in northern Israel by Hezbollah explosive drone

Wait 5 sec.

The slain soldier’s mother said he was set to complete his mandatory military service next months, had made plans for after his discharge.By World Israel News StaffAn Israeli soldier was killed near the northern border with Lebanon on Friday in an explosive drone attack launched by the Hezbollah terror group, an assault that also wounded two other troops.An IDF statement identified the fallen soldier as Staff Sgt. Noam Hamburger, 23, a technology and maintenance soldier in the 401st Brigade.Hamburger was from Atlit, a coastal town near Haifa in northern Israel.The drone struck near the community of Netua in northern Israel on Friday afternoon. Another soldier was seriously wounded in the attack, while a non-commissioned officer sustained light injuries from the blast.Speaking to Hebrew-language outlet Ynet, Hamburger’s bereaved mother, Liat, said her son was scheduled to complete his mandatory military service next month and had already made plans for life after the army.“Noam was our eldest son. He was pleasant, a tremendous gift for any mother,” she told Ynet. “He always had a big smile. He was an outstanding student and loved to learn. He loved his family and his many friends.”She described the loss of her son as “incomprehensible” and said the family was struggling to process the “terrible disaster” that had struck them.Along with his parents, Hamburger is survived by three sisters: 21-year-old Roni and 18-year-old twins Adi and Yuval.In a statement, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed his “heartfelt condolences” to Hamburger’s family.“Noam, of blessed memory, fought bravely to defend our communities and citizens against the Hezbollah terrorist organization,” Netanyahu’s statement said.“On behalf of all the citizens of Israel, we embrace Noam’s family and loved ones and wish a full and speedy recovery to his comrades who were wounded in the difficult incident.”Hamburger is the 22nd Israeli soldier killed since the resumption of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah following the outbreak of Operation Epic Fury in late February.An Arab-Israeli civilian contractor was also killed in southern Lebanon while carrying out engineering work for the Defense Ministry.The latest attack comes amid continuing cross-border violence between Israel and Hezbollah, which has intensified in recent months and forced thousands of civilians on both sides of the border to flee their homes.The post Soldier killed in northern Israel by Hezbollah explosive drone appeared first on World Israel News.