Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir was expected to decide on Thursday whether to travel to Tehran. (File photos)Six weeks after a fragile ceasefire paused the Iran conflict, diplomatic efforts to revive talks between the United States and Iran gathered pace on Thursday, with Pakistan intensifying backchannel mediation even as US President Donald Trump warned Tehran that military action could resume if negotiations failed.According to Reuters, Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir was expected to decide on Thursday whether to travel to Tehran as part of mediation efforts aimed at accelerating communication between Washington and Tehran. Pakistan’s interior minister had already visited Tehran a day earlier.Also Read | US Iran War News LIVE Updates“We’re speaking to all the various groups in Iran to streamline communication and so things pick up pace,” a source familiar with the negotiations told Reuters, adding that concerns were growing over Trump’s “patience running thin”.Speaking to reporters at Joint Base Andrews, Trump said he was prepared to wait only “a few days” for “the right answers” from Tehran. “Either have a deal, or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” he said, reiterating that the US would not allow Iran to acquire nuclear weapons.Iran, meanwhile, said it was reviewing Washington’s latest responses after submitting a fresh proposal earlier this week. Reuters reported that Tehran’s demands continue to include sanctions relief, access to frozen assets, compensation for war damages, and conditions linked to the Strait of Hormuz, terms the Trump administration has previously rejected.Strait of Hormuz remains under scrutinyThe Strait of Hormuz, through which nearly a fifth of global oil and LNG shipments passed before the war, continues to remain heavily restricted. Iran on Wednesday released a map describing a “controlled maritime zone” in the strait, saying ships would require authorisation to pass through the area.The development has intensified concerns over global energy supplies and inflation, particularly as oil prices remain elevated.Story continues below this adAccording to Reuters and shipping monitor Lloyd’s List, at least 54 ships crossed the strait last week, nearly double the number recorded the previous week, though still significantly below pre-war levels of 125-140 daily passages. Two Chinese supertankers and a South Korean oil tanker were among the vessels that crossed in coordination with Iranian authorities.Iran resumes some drone productionEven as diplomacy continues, security concerns persist. CNN, citing US intelligence sources, reported on Thursday that Iran had resumed parts of its drone production during the ceasefire period.Iran’s Revolutionary Guards also warned against renewed attacks, saying any future aggression would trigger a “regional war” extending “beyond the region”.The conflict, launched by the US and Israel with the stated aim of curbing Iran’s nuclear and missile capabilities and weakening its regional influence, has caused thousands of deaths in Iran and widespread displacement in Lebanon. Despite weeks of military action, Iran is believed to have retained its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium and parts of its missile and drone infrastructure.The Express Global Desk at indianexpress.com which delivers authoritative, verified, and context-driven coverage of key international developments shaping global politics, policy, and migration trends. The desk focuses on stories with direct relevance for Indian and global audiences, combining breaking news with in-depth explainers and analysis. A major focus area of the desk is US immigration and visa policy, including developments related to student visas, work permits, permanent residency pathways, executive actions, and court rulings. The Global Desk also closely tracks Canada’s immigration, visa, and study policies, covering changes to study permits, post-study work options, permanent residence programmes, and regulatory updates affecting migrants and international students. All reporting from the Global Desk adheres to The Indian Express’ editorial standards, relying on official data, government notifications, court documents, and on-record sources. The desk prioritises clarity, accuracy, and accountability, ensuring readers can navigate complex global systems with confidence. Core Team The Express Global Desk is led by a team of experienced journalists and editors with deep expertise in international affairs and migration policy: Aniruddha Dhar – Senior Assistant Editor with extensive experience in global affairs, international politics, and editorial leadership. Nischai Vats – Deputy Copy Editor specialising in US politics, US visa and immigration policy, and policy-driven international coverage. Mashkoora Khan – Sub-editor focusing on global developments, with a strong emphasis on Canada visa, immigration, and study-related policy coverage. ... Read MoreStay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd