Donald Trump warns IranUS President Donald Trump on Wednesday announced what he called the “most crushing economic operation” ever imposed against a country, targeting Iran with an unprecedented campaign of economic warfare and isolation while warning nations providing Tehran with financial or commercial support of “tremendous” consequences.Trump said the new measures would target any country whose financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities provide what he described as a “lifeline” to Iran. He did not specify what penalties Washington would impose or name any country that could be targeted.“No one has given the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a Deal than me. TRAGICALLY, for them, they have failed to take it. Therefore, today, I am announcing the MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY! This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.“Today, I am also announcing that ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences.Oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies — It all needs to stop NOW. You know who you are,” he said.The announcement marks a further escalation of Washington's economic campaign against Tehran as the US war with Iran approaches its sixth month, with the dispute over the Strait of Hormuz continuing to complicate efforts to reach a broader settlement.Trump warns countries aiding IranTrump called for an immediate halt to activities including “oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries” and the use of “front companies” to support Iran.“This will be an ECONOMIC D-DAY, and we need all of our Allies to stand with the United States of America to isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat. These maniacs are on the ropes, and these HISTORIC MEASURES will cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide,” Trump said.He also claimed that Iran's military capabilities had been severely weakened by the conflict.“Their navy is gone, their air force is destroyed, their military factories are now rubble, their currency is worthless, and their country is hanging by a thread,” Trump said.Trump also repeated his warning over Iran's nuclear programme, saying: “IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON.”Before the war began, China, India, Turkey, Germany, South Korea and Japan were among Iran's major trading partners. Trump did not identify any of these countries as a target of the new measures.US expands economic pressure campaignTrump's announcement follows comments by US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent that Washington would intensify efforts to isolate Iran economically.“It will be a combination of economic isolation, like the world has never seen before,” Bessent told Newsmax last week.The US Treasury has also been pursuing a sanctions campaign known as Operation Economic Fury, aimed at cutting off Tehran's sources of revenue through targeted measures.Trump's latest announcement appears to widen that pressure by warning not only Iranian entities but also foreign governments and businesses that continue providing financial, commercial or logistical support to Tehran.The president did not provide details on how the new campaign would be implemented or whether it would involve secondary sanctions against foreign companies and financial institutions.War and Hormuz dispute deepen tensionsThe conflict began on February 28, when US and Israeli forces launched strikes against Iran. Tehran responded with missile and drone attacks against US and Israeli targets across the Middle East.The Strait of Hormuz has remained at the centre of the confrontation. The strategic waterway is a major route for global energy shipments and has faced severe disruption during the conflict.Trump has maintained that the strait remains open despite the wider confrontation.“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump said in a Truth Social post on Tuesday.“The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” he added.His remarks came a day after his son-in-law and special envoy Jared Kushner said talks with Iran were still under way and were “probably more robust” than they had ever been.Iranian Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf has said Tehran would not reopen the Strait until Washington meets its demands, including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen Iranian assets and easing oil sanctions.The widening gap between Trump's claims that negotiations are not taking place and reports of continuing contacts has added uncertainty over whether the conflict can be brought to an end.Trump has previously said negotiations could resume “maybe at some point”, while insisting that Iran must not be allowed to develop a nuclear weapon.“Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. You know why? Because they'd use it. And we're not going to let them use it. So Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, and they won't,” he said.Catch the latest World News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.