Social security pensions of 51,720 beneficiaries cancelled - The HinduPublished - August 17, 2026 08:23 pm IST - BENGALURUG. Parameshwara, Deputy Chief Minister, during the Karnataka Legislative Assembly session, at Vidhana Soudha, in Bengaluru on Monday.Deputy Chief Minister G. Parameshwara on Monday informed the Legislative Assembly that the social security pensions of 51,720 beneficiaries had been cancelled after they were found ineligible for benefits under the schemes.Replying to Congress member Roopakala during Question Hour, the Deputy Chief Minister said an exercise to verify the data of beneficiaries under social security schemes against income limits, income-tax payers and Above Poverty Line (APL) ration card holders had helped identify 23,14,544 beneficiaries whose credentials were “doubtful”.The government had suspended pension payments to them and asked them to furnish documents to establish their eligibility, he noted.The payment of social security pensions resumed in March 2026 for beneficiaries who were found eligible after physical verification.The Deputy Chief Minister said pension payments for suspended beneficiaries could also be resumed if they furnished documentary proof of their eligibility. He said Village Administrative Officers would visit the homes of beneficiaries under the old-age pension and physically challenged pension schemes to verify their documents at their doorstep.Referring to the income criterion for these schemes, Mr. Parameshwara explained that only those whose annual family income did not exceed ₹32,000 were eligible for social security pensions.Published - August 17, 2026 08:23 pm ISTSign in to unlock member-only benefits!Access 10 free stories every monthSave stories to read laterAccess to comment on every storySign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single clickGet notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products${ ind + 1 } ${ device }Last active - ${ la }