Big win for students: J'khand govt scraps JSSC-CGL exam, all tests via TDPL since 2014

Wait 5 sec.

CID raided JSSC and Jharkhand cancelled 14th JPSC and backlog exams as protests entered 24th day with 6 on hunger strike - top developmentsNEW DELHI: Amid the ongoing protest by job aspirants over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations, Jharkhand chief minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exam and all tests conducted by outsourced agency TDPL since 2014.The move came after the agitation, led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, demanded a CBI probe into alleged irregularities and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination. Most of the demands made byt the students have noe been accpeted by the Jharkhand government.Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato thanked the Jharkhand government and CM Hemant Soren for accepting the students' demands and said the ongoing probe was targeting those involved in examination irregularities.He said that he would soon reach the protest site in Ranchi to break his hunger strike.He said the students would continue to support efforts to remove corruption from the examination system and would cooperate with the government in the ongoing reform process."We extend our heartfelt thanks to all the students, parents, members of the media, the police administration, and especially the Jharkhand government and CM Soren for supporting and cooperating with this movement.We express our gratitude for taking the students' issues seriously and fulfilling our demands; most importantly, the investigation is being conducted meticulously, and every corrupt individual involved is being apprehended. They are making a concerted effort to reach the true kingpins behind these gangs," said Mahato.Mahato also said they would support the government's investigation into alleged examination irregularities but stressed that they wanted a system that would prevent paper leaks and other irregularities in the future.The student protest in Ranchi over alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) had entered its 24th day on Monday.JSSC-CGL, all exams held by TDPL since 2014 scrapped: CM SorenJharkhand chief minister Hemant Soren said that the state government has decided to cancel all examinations conducted by TDPL, the results published by the company, and the selection or participation of candidates through TDPL, amid the ongoing student protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment exams.The government also decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examinations.Soren said the decision was taken at a special Cabinet meeting after the government considered the concerns raised by protesting students and sought to bring the issue to a conclusion.“Today, we held a special Cabinet meeting to bring this matter to a conclusion. After considering all aspects and finding solutions to the issues, we have decided to cancel all examinations conducted by TDPL, the results published by TDPL, and the selection or participation of any candidates through TDPL. All activities undertaken by TDPL in this regard have also been cancelled,” Soren said.Speaking about the protesters at Jaipal Singh Stadium, Soren said the government viewed them collectively as young people concerned about their future and promised greater transparency in recruitment reforms.“I do not consider these young people to be different groups. They are all concerned about their future. The government will move ahead with complete transparency on reforms,” Soren said.He said an existing standard operating procedure (SOP) for conducting examinations should have prevented the alleged irregularities, but added that the government would make further improvements based on suggestions from stakeholders.“There is already an SOP for conducting examinations, and if it had been followed, these irregularities would not have occurred. Nevertheless, further improvements will be made based on suggestions received,” Soren said.The chief minister said a portal had also been opened for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions, which would subsequently be shared with experts for consideration.CID raids JSSC officeThe Jharkhand CID on Monday began raids at the JSSC office in Ranchi as part of its investigation into alleged irregularities in various recruitment examinations.CID ADG Manoj Kaushik told PTI that the searches were being conducted in connection with the allegations. The state probe agency has so far arrested 20 people in the case, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte.Fresh talks with protesting studentsA delegation of protesting JPSC-JSSC candidates was scheduled to meet the state government's committee for another round of talks. This is the seventh round of discussions between the two sides, with earlier meetings failing to break the deadlock.The protesters have been demanding comprehensive reforms in the JPSC and JSSC recruitment systems, a CBI probe into alleged irregularities and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination. Six protesters continue to remain on hunger strike.Government says 14th JPSC, backlog exams will be cancelledJharkhand minister Dipika Pandey Singh said the government would cancel the 14th JPSC examination and backlog examinations.She also said the government would write to the Enforcement Directorate to investigate alleged financial misappropriation, while the CID probe would be monitored by the judiciary. Pandey said the government was committed to reforms aimed at safeguarding the future of students.Singh and Irfan Ansari said the government remained committed to addressing the students' demands through dialogue.Ansari accused the BJP of attempting to "hijack" the student movement, while Pandey alleged that the opposition was using the protesters to target the state government. The BJP, meanwhile, has backed the students' demand for a CBI probe and criticised the government's handling of the agitation.Rahul Gandhi asks Soren to meet protestersCongress leader Rahul Gandhi has urged chief minister Hemant Soren to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and take steps to resolve their remaining concerns.In a letter dated August 14, Rahul described the students' protest as peaceful and their demands as legitimate. He also backed the right to peaceful protest and said Congress stood with students raising concerns over paper leaks and irregularities in the education system.Congress is part of the ruling JMM-led alliance in Jharkhand.Also read: Rahul Gandhi writes to ally Hemant Soren over Jharkhand student protestsCongress backs students, urges quick resolutionJharkhand Congress in-charge K Raju said Rahul Gandhi and the party stood firmly with the protesting job aspirants and urged Soren to resolve the issue at the earliest.Raju said Congress leaders had met the chief minister and appealed to him to address the students' concerns. He said the four-member committee appointed by Soren would hold another meeting with the protesters on Monday.Protesters remain firm on key demandsThe protesters have said they will not call off the agitation unless the government takes concrete action on their demands.The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has also called for broader changes in the recruitment system. The protesters had earlier announced plans to gherao the chief minister's residence on August 20 and appealed to students from across Jharkhand to gather in Ranchi.The agitation intensified on August 10 when thousands of job aspirants marched towards the Jharkhand Assembly in Ranchi. Police used lathi-charge, tear gas and water cannons to disperse protesters after they breached barricades, according to reports.The confrontation further escalated the standoff between the student groups and the state government.Join conversationShare your thoughts in the commentsBe respectful · TOI community guidelinesThe agitation has now entered its 24th consecutive day, with six protesters still on hunger strike. The protesters have indicated that they will continue the stir unless the government's assurances translate into concrete action.Student leader Devendra Mahto, who has now been on hunger-strike for 15 days, says he hopes that fresh rounds of talks with the state government would bring positive results.With the latest talks taking place against the backdrop of the CID raids and growing political pressure, Monday's discussions could prove crucial in determining whether the prolonged standoff finally moves towards a resolution.Government announces recruitment reformsThe Jharkhand government has announced several measures aimed at making recruitment examinations more transparent and secure. These include a time-bound annual examination calendar, technology-secured examinations, timely publication of answer keys and OMR sheets, and multi-level accountability in the recruitment process.The government has also launched a consultation seeking suggestions from students, teachers, educationists and parents on reforms to the examination system.Get the latest India News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.