Xabi Alonso spoke about Enzo Fernández’s future at Chelsea and revealed the player’s attitude The manager did not clarify whether the midfielder will remain at Chelsea, but praised the good work he has been doing in every training session. Enzo Fernández, for now, is staying at Chelsea There are just over 10 days left before the European transfer window closes, and some major transfers could still take place. Enzo Fernández, the Argentine who plays for Chelsea, is one of the players in the spotlight. There has been talk of a transfer, and his manager Xabi Alonso even avoided confirming at a press conference whether the midfielder will remain with the London club this season. He did, however, make it clear that, for now, Fernández remains a Chelsea player. A few days ago, several English media outlets reported that Chelsea had given Manchester City a deadline to sign Enzo Fernández. “We’re not going to do anything,” said City manager Enzo Maresca ahead of the Community Shield, which his team lost 3–0 to Arsenal. That supposed ultimatum expired last weekend. Meanwhile, a large portion of the crowd at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea’s friendly against Real Sociedad booed the 25-year-old when he came on for Reece James, who had been given the captain’s armband by the Argentine. However, not all of the supporters reacted negatively. Another section of the stands distanced themselves from Fernández’s critics and sang in his support. “Oh, Enzo Fernández; oh, Enzo Fernández,” could be heard during the match, which Chelsea eventually won 3–1. The result left the English side in good shape ahead of the start of the Premier League this weekend. The team’s new manager, Xabi Alonso, has had more than a week to prepare his players for their first Premier League match of the season, away against neighbors Fulham on August 24. Boos for Enzo followed by “Oh, Enzo Fernandez” by some Ahead of the Blues’ season opener, Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso addressed the midfielder’s situation. “Enzo is a Chelsea player. He’s a great player. He’s been training very well since he returned to the team 10 days ago. He’s very integrated, and we’re very happy with him. He’s preparing for Monday,” Alonso said at Thursday’s press conference when asked whether the Argentine would still be a Chelsea player once the transfer window closes. After that question, Alonso was asked whether Enzo had expressed a desire to leave. “He’s training very well, and what I see in him is a great attitude, and that’s what we want. Everyone is preparing as well as possible for the start of the Premier League,” he replied. After the friendly against Real Sociedad, the manager had been more emphatic when asked about Fernández potentially leaving. “The reality is that the verbal £120m clause is no longer available. Control is completely in Chelsea’s hands now. If City or anyone else wanted an easy deal, they had their chance. That window is closed,” Alonso said. Regarding the Argentine’s future, he added: “Enzo is here, the guaranteed exit is gone, and now it’s time for him to work for this club.” Xabi Alonso, Chelsea manager, said he is very happy with Enzo Fernández: “Enzo can get into the box, but without starting too high up the pitch. He can do it from a deeper, build-up position, as a playmaker. He has the qualities to connect the game with both short and long passes. He’s able to see both the players nearby and those farther away, and from there he can progress the play.” Chelsea are aware that Fernández’s departure, given everything that has happened in recent months, is not an impossible scenario. For that reason, the club gave Manchester City a deadline for submitting offers: last Friday at 5 p.m. UK time. Chelsea also set a starting price of £120 million (€140 million). However, Manchester City, who are also working on the signing of Ayyoub Bouaddi, did not meet the deadline, and Chelsea took it as confirmation that Enzo would stay. For now. City have also already made a major midfield signing, bringing in Elliot Anderson, who played at the World Cup for England and for whom they paid €135 million to Nottingham Forest. Time is running out to finalize squads. Although the transfer registration period will remain open until September 1, the Premier League begins on August 21. On August 16, FA Cup winners Manchester City will face Premier League champions Arsenal in the Community Shield, the English Super Cup. Meanwhile, Xabi Alonso is counting on keeping the Argentine and considers him one of the essential players in his project. However, if Fernández were to leave, Chelsea would need to find a replacement for him.   submitted by   /u/IndividualPleasant23 [link]   [comments]