‘Very good’ ties with Kim: Trump orders 'substantial' cut in military drills with South Korea

Wait 5 sec.

Trump on Saturday shared a throwback photograph with Kim Jong Un, joking about their "unfriendly look" while reaffirming that the two get along well. (Image credit: Truth Social)US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to “substantially” reduce planned joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to join US efforts to denuclearise Iran.Trump said the military exercises, scheduled to begin this week, would send an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korea, which he claimed had remained “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency.In a post on social media, Trump said: "Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea. These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful."He added: "Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!"Trump also linked his decision to South Korea's position on Iran, saying he had recently asked the South Korean president whether Seoul wanted to join Washington's efforts to denuclearise Iran."While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, "No thanks!" Thank you for your attention to this matter. President DONALD J. TRUMP"US-South Korea drills under scrutinyThe 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are scheduled to involve around 18,000 South Korean troops and are designed to strengthen the allies' readiness against potential threats from North Korea, according to AP.Trump said cancelling the exercises altogether was no longer possible because preparations were already underway, but ordered Hegseth to reduce their scale.The exercises are intended to test the allies' ability to conduct complex joint operations. The US military has said they include live-fire exercises, precision targeting, manoeuvres, a wet-gap crossing and the distribution of pre-positioned military equipment.The drills have long been a source of tension with Pyongyang. North Korea condemned the exercises on Friday as a “rehearsal for an aggressive war” and threatened unspecified countermeasures against the US and South Korea.The latest development also comes after North Korea resumed ballistic missile testing. Earlier this month, South Korea, the US and Japan detected the launch of a short-range ballistic missile by Pyongyang, its first such test since late June.Trump's comments signal a renewed focus on his personal relationship with Kim as a factor in Washington's approach to military exercises on the Korean peninsula. Trump has repeatedly sought engagement with the North Korean leader during his presidency, while Washington and Seoul have continued to maintain their military alliance as a deterrent against Pyongyang.Trump backs Saudi-Turkey-Pakistan defence pactSeparately, Trump welcomed a newly signed defence agreement between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan, describing it as a “big, bold” first step towards greater regional security cooperation.In a post on Truth Social, Trump said, “Very happy to see that Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan have recently, and finally, signed the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement.”“It shows how the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way,” he said.“This is a big, bold, and important first step — wow!” Trump added.The trilateral agreement was signed at a joint defence summit attended by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.The pact aims to deepen security and defence cooperation among the three countries. Pakistan's foreign ministry said the agreement is based on their historical ties, shared strategic interests and longstanding defence cooperation.It also includes a commitment that an armed attack against any one of the three countries would be regarded as an attack against all three.Catch the latest World News and Live updates. Download the TOI app.