By Aggrey BabaDr. Kizza Besigye’s long-time ally Ingrid Turinawe has dismissed claims that she stayed away from the High Court hearing of Besigye’s case after receiving a security warning that she could be abducted, instead accusing the in-charge judge of repeatedly intimidating her and questioning the conduct of proceedings. While speaking to Mulengera News by phone, she said she deliberately chose not to attend Tuesday’s proceedings because she no longer sees a clear reason to keep going to court amid irregularities surrounding the case and the deteriorating condition of her leader and mentor, Dr Besigye. Turinawe was reacting to claims that she and Kampala Deputy Lord Mayor Doreen Nyanjura had been tipped that they would be targeted, arrested and taken to a security detention facility if they appeared at court. She disputed the claims, saying fear of arrest has never been the reason for her absence and challenging anyone intending to arrest her to simply come and do it. “I don’t fear them. Let them come and arrest me. They know where I live,” Turinawe said. She insisted that she cannot live in fear or abandon her normal activities merely because she suspects that security agencies could arrest her, arguing that she has committed no crime. “I can’t leave in fear when I clearly know that I haven’t committed any crime,” she said. But Ingrid Turinawe revealed that her decision not to attend the hearing was also influenced by the repeated intimidation by Justice Emmanuel Baguma, who she accused of threatening her with arrest on several occasions while she was attending court. According to Turinawe, Baguma has on several occasions shouted at her and warned that he could order for her arrest. She said she has deliberately avoided discussing the incidents publicly because she recognizes that Baguma has powers to have a person removed from the public gallery and charged with contempt of court. “He has the powers to pick you from the audience and charge you with contempt of court, that’s why I have always declined to talk about it,” she said. The formerbMP from Rukungiri’s accusations put the conduct of the proceedings under serious scrutiny, particularly at a time when Besigye’s supporters are already questioning the circumstances surrounding his continued absence from court and the restrictions imposed on proceedings. Turinawe, who has been a regular presence at Besigye’s court appearances, said her experience at court has increasingly made her question whether there is still a meaningful reason for her to attend proceedings when she believes that fundamental issues surrounding the trial remain unresolved. She also recounted a particularly disturbing incident on the day key prosecution witness Orlando first appeared in court. Turinawe said she was physically prevented from accessing the court premises and was forced to choose between attempting to enter and risking arrest or returning home. “I was stopped from accessing court,” she said, explaining that she eventually decided not to risk being arrested. She said the incident reinforced her concerns about how Besigye’s supporters and associates are treated whenever they attempt to follow proceedings. (For comments on this story, get back to us on 0705579994 [WhatsApp line], 0779411734 & 041 4674611 or email us at mulengeranews@gmail.com).