Sinner to miss US open due to knee injury

Wait 5 sec.

AdvertisementAdvertisementFILE PHOTO: Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 12, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner in action during his final match against Germany's Alexander Zverev REUTERS/Marko Djurica/File PhotoFILE PHOTO: Jul 12, 2026; London, United Kingdom; Jannik Sinner (ITA) reacts after winning a point against Alexander Zverev (GER) (not pictured) in the gentlemen's singles final of The Championships Wimbledon 2026 at All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-Imagn Images/ File Photo21 Aug 2026 10:13PM (Updated: 21 Aug 2026 10:24PM) Bookmark Bookmark WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter Email LinkedInAdd CNA as a trusted source to help Google better understand and surface our content in search results.Read a summary of this article on FAST.Get bite-sized news via a newcards interface. Give it a try.Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FASTFAST Aug 21 : World number one Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the U.S. Open due to a persistent right knee injury, the Italian said on Friday, depriving the season's final Grand Slam of one of its biggest contenders.The 24-year-old, who captured his fifth major title at Wimbledon last month, has not played since sustaining the injury earlier this month.He pulled out of the Cincinnati Open and also skipped the Canadian Open, two key hard-court tune-up events ahead of the Grand Slam tournament in New York."Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the U.S. Open this year," Sinner said in a statement posted on X.Show MoreShow Less"We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue."The announcement comes a day after world number two Carlos Alcaraz confirmed he would compete at Flushing Meadows following a four-month absence from competitive tennis.Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in last year's U.S. Open final, now heads to New York as the highest-ranked player and one of the favourites to lift the title, despite recent injury troubles.Sinner's absence removes one of the Spaniard's biggest rivals and could ease his path as he bids for an eighth Grand Slam crown.The U.S. Open runs from August 23 to September 13.Source: ReutersNewsletterRecommended ReadSubscribe to CNA's Recommended ReadA single handpicked story that we think you shouldn't miss. Just one a day.Sign up for our newslettersGet our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inboxSubscribe hereGet the CNA appStay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best storiesDownload hereGet WhatsApp alertsJoin our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat appJoin hereAlso worth readingContent is loading...Expand to read the full storyGet bite-sized news via a newcards interface. Give it a try.Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FASTFAST