Both countries end bi-annual talks in Dhaka: In talks with BGB, BSF raises attack on its troops, building fence

Wait 5 sec.

The Border Security Force (BSF) has raised the issue of attack on its personnel and Indian citizens by Bangladeshi criminals, drone intrusions and “early” construction of a single-row fence along the border to curb crimes as the two countries ended their bi-annual talks in Dhaka on Thursday.This was the first time an Indian delegation travelled to the neighbouring country for these talks after the fall of the Sheikh Hasina government in August last year. A delegation of the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) had come to Delhi for these talks between February 17 and 20.The 11-member Indian delegation was led by BSF DG Daljit Singh Chawdhary while BGB DG Maj Gen Mohammad Ashrafuzzaman Siddiqui led the 21-member Bangladesh delegation.Held from August 25-28, the talks concluded at the BGB headquarters at Pilkhana with the signing of a joint record of discussions on a host of issues related to the 4,096 km-long International Border (IB).“Major agenda points from BSF were prevention against attack, assault, abuse and stone pelting on BSF personnel and Indian nationals by Bangladesh-based criminals/miscreants, joint efforts to prevent trans-border crimes, action against Indian insurgent groups (IIGs) in Bangladesh, denial and delay in taking over apprehended illegal Bangladeshi entrants by BGB,” the BSF said in a statement.“Issues related to border infrastructure, construction of single-row fence (SRF), air violations (including drone intrusions), incorrect reporting/misinterpretation of border issues by Bangladeshi media and other miscellaneous activities were also part of the BSF agenda points,” it said.“The force stressed upon the agenda for early construction of the SRF, which does not have defence potential, and it will be an important measure for curbing and preventing trans-border crimes,” as per the statement. Both sides agreed to follow the laid-down procedure while erecting the SRF, it added.Story continues below this adOfficials said that the BSF, during the discussions, also informed the BGB about its move to provide about 5,000 body-worn cameras to its troops so that “irrefutable” evidence is furnished in cross-frontier crime, including cases where Indian troops are attacked by criminals and the force takes action by initiating non-lethal and lethal firing in self-defence.Dhaka: India on Thursday said “only illegal intruders” were being pushed into Bangladesh following due procedures, as the chiefs of the border forces of the two countries concluded their bi-annual talks in Dhaka.“Push-ins of people from India into Bangladesh are being carried out in line with proper procedures,” BSF DG Daljit Singh Chawdhary said at a joint press conference with BGB chief Maj Gen Mohammad Ashrafuzzaman Siddiqui at BGB’s Pilkhana Headquarters.He said that “only illegal intruders” were being pushed into Bangladesh.Story continues below this adChawdhary said that so far, 550 people have been handed over to the BGB and verification was done for 2,400 cases with assistance from the Bangladesh High Commission in India.“In cases of border law violations, there is a well-established, legal repatriation channel between our two countries through which this process is carried out,” Chawdhary said, responding to a question. PTI