AdvertisementAdvertisementAsiaThe delegation had been set to leave on Sunday for talks to finalise an interim trade deal.An attendee holds US and India's flags as they gather on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, US, Jun 22, 2023. (File photo: Reuters/Kevin Lamarque)22 Feb 2026 06:38PM (Updated: 22 Feb 2026 06:59PM) Bookmark Bookmark WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter Email LinkedInAdd CNA as a trusted source to help Google better understand and surface our content in search results.Read a summary of this article on FAST.Get bite-sized news via a newcards interface. Give it a try.Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FASTFAST NEW DELHI: India has delayed plans to send a trade delegation to Washington this week, chiefly because of uncertainty after the US Supreme Court struck down tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump, a source in its trade ministry said on Sunday (Feb 22).One of the first concrete reactions among Asian nations to the decision, it follows Trump's move on Saturday to levy a temporary tariff of 15 per cent, the maximum allowed by law, on US imports from all countries, following the court's rejection."The decision to defer the visit was taken after discussions between officials of the two countries," said the source, who sought anonymity as the matter is a sensitive one. "No new date for the visit has been decided."The delay came mainly from the uncertainty over tariffs following Friday's judgment, the source added.The delegation had been set to leave on Sunday for talks to finalise an interim trade deal, after both countries agreed on a framework for Washington to cut punitive tariffs of 25 per cent on some Indian exports linked to New Delhi’s Russian oil purchases.US tariffs on Indian goods were set to be cut to 18 per cent, while India agreed to buy US items worth US$500 billion over five years, ranging from energy supplies to aircraft and parts, precious metals and technology products.New 15% US tariff likely to apply to Singapore, says DPM Gan Kim YongTrump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%India's opposition Congress party had called for the interim pact to be put on hold, urging a renegotiation and questioning Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to issue a joint statement before the court’s ruling.On Saturday, the Indian trade ministry said it was studying the implications of the judgment and later US announcements.Last week, Trade Minister Piyush Goyal said the interim pact could take effect in April, after outstanding issues were resolved during the delegation’s visit to Washington.Source: Reuters/fhNewsletterMorning BriefSubscribe to CNA’s Morning BriefAn automated curation of our top stories to start your day.NewsletterWeek in ReviewSubscribe to our Chief Editor’s Week in ReviewOur chief editor shares analysis and picks of the week's biggest news every Saturday.Sign up for our newslettersGet our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inboxSubscribe hereGet the CNA appStay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best storiesDownload hereGet WhatsApp alertsJoin our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat appJoin hereAlso worth readingContent is loading...Expand to read the full storyGet bite-sized news via a newcards interface. Give it a try.Click here to return to FAST Tap here to return to FASTFAST