Remove ‘gender ideology’ from sex ed materials or lose funding, Trump administration tells states

Wait 5 sec.

The Department of Health and Human Services has told 40 states to change parts of sex ed lessons that focus on LGBTQ+ issues in federally funded sexual education materials, failing which they will lose funding.States have been given 60 days to comply with the order, which is part of a broader effort to eliminate what Trump calls “gender ideology.”What funds will be affected?“Federal funds will not be used to poison the minds of the next generation or advance dangerous ideological agendas,” Acting Assistant Health and Human Service Secretary Andrew Gradison said in a statement.The funds in question are the Personal Responsibility Education Program, and is aimed at teaching homeless students, those in foster programs, minorities, and those in rural areas and places with high rates of teen pregnancy. It provides a total of over $81 million for the 40 states plus the District of Columbia and five territories, where officials were also sent the letter, by the HHS earlier this week.What changes have HHS soughtIn the letters, the federal Administration for Children and Families pointed to specific examples in textbooks and curricula that they find objectionable.For instance, a curriculum used in Alabama encourages the instructor to ask participants to share the pronouns they use.It also tells the instructor to tell the class that people “may identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or straight. Some may identify as male, female or transgender. All of these differences make us unique. Regardless of how you see yourself, your background, previous relationships or experience, each of you has a place in this group.”Story continues below this ad Students begin to arrive at Cardozo Education Campus for the first day of school for public schools in Washington, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)Legal challengeThis is not the first time the Trump administration has issued such a warning. California was warned previously, and the $12 million grant for that state was stripped on August 21.The move is the latest in a line of efforts since Trump returned to the White House in January to recognise people as only male or female and to eliminate what he calls “gender ideology.” But some states have laws that require teaching about LGBTQ+ issues, and the order is likely to be challenged in courts.“Threatening to defund our schools over this is completely unhinged and we’re not going to let Trump steal money from our kids,” Connecticut Attorney General William Tong said.Alison Macklin, spokesperson for Sex Ed for Social Change (SIECUS), said the grant money is used for things like training sex education instructors and for groups that present lessons in schools or after-school groups.Story continues below this ad“This money is essential to states and territories to support sex education,” she said. “They build critical life skills for young people.”She noted that some states have laws requiring education about lesbian, gay and transgender people.