Demanding that the Maharashtra government immediately issue a government resolution (GR) declaring all Marathas in Marathwada as Kunbis, activist Manoj Jarange Patil on Saturday outrightly rejected Justice Sandeep Shinde committee’s request for more time to resolve the complex reservation issue.With Jarange Patil digging in his heels on the second day of his indefinite hungerstrike at Azad Maidan in Mumbai, talks between the state government and the Maratha activist to resolve the vexed issue has hit a stalemate.“Marathas in Marathwada region must be declared as Kunbis and given reservation. The Hyderabad and Satara gazettes must be made into law for this,” Jarange Patil said, adding that the Aundh and Bombay gazettes to declare Marathas as Kunbis can follow later.On the second day of his hungerstrike, the Justice Shinde committee delegation met Jarange Patil at Azad Maidan, but the Maratha activist expressed displeasure with the government’s approach to their agitation and demands. He also warned that if the demands are not met, the agitation would intensify.“You won’t see a single Maratha in their homes next Saturday, Sunday,” Patil warned. “Issue a GR stating that Marathas and Kunbis are one and the same. Implement it immediately and distribute certificates from tomorrow. I will not back down until this happens,” he said.Maharashtra’s Kunbi community is associated with agriculture-related occupations and is grouped under the Other Backward Classes (OBC) category.The Justice Shinde committee delegation was deputed by BJP minister Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil, who heads a 12-member cabinet sub-committee formed by the Devendra Fadnavis-led government to hold discussions with Jarange Patil, to hold talks with the Maratha activist.Story continues below this adAround 3 pm, the Justice Shinde committee delegation reached Azad Maidan. Justice Shinde informed Jarange Patil that in Marathwada, 2.39 lakh Kunbi certificates have been issued so far, enabling Marathas to avail OBC reservation benefits. He also told him that across Maharashtra, 58 lakh Kunbi records have been identified and so far 10 lakh certificates have been issued.However, the committee members clarified that while individuals can be granted Kunbi status, an entire community cannot be declared as Kunbi under existing rules and individual certificates are issued based on evidence.Jarange Patil outrightly rejected the explanation of the committee that Kunbi status can only be granted to individuals based on the Hyderabad and Nizam gazettes, and that a whole community cannot be recognised collectively. “If the entire Maratha community cannot be granted Kunbi status, then how will collective inclusion in the OBC category be possible,” he asked Justice Shinde.The committee members told Jarange Patil that issuing certificates based on Hyderabad and Satara gazettes would take up to six months, as they require legal validation before implementation. Jarange Patil rejected any such delay, insisting that the Hyderabad gazette implementation should start immediately, claiming it could be done within an hour by issuing a GR.Story continues below this ad“I am willing to give two months for the processing of Bombay and Aundh gazettes, but would not grant any time for Hyderabad (Nizam) and Satara gazettes. These can be implemented within an hour,” he said and gave the committee a one-day ultimatum to act.“The committee has studied this for 13 months. Now it must immediately issue a government resolution recognising Marathas of Marathwada as Kunbi and start distribution of certificates tomorrow (Sunday). No further time will be given,” he warned.Jarange Patil also demanded the withdrawal of all cases filed against Maratha protesters and insisted that families who lost members during past Maratha reservation agitations be given jobs and Rs 10 lakh financial assistance.He warned that if the government fails to act within six to seven days, more Maratha protesters will arrive in Mumbai over the coming weekends, and no Maratha from Marathwada will stay in villages — they will all come to the city.Story continues below this adDuring the meeting, Jarange Patil also questioned the logic behind placing 350 castes under the OBC category while denying collective recognition to Marathas, expressing anger at what he called unnecessary delays by the Justice Shinde committee.After the meeting with the delegation, he expressed disappointment at the government’s decision to send the Justice Shinde committee delegation instead of Cabinet ministers. He called it “an insult to the state government, the Assembly, and the Council.”Speaking to mediapersons, Justice Shinde said the delegation will now apprise the empowered sub-committe about the talks and further course of action to be taken.Later, the Cabinet sub-committee headed by Vikhe-Patil too held talks with Jarange Patil.Story continues below this adThe developments follow Friday’s protests during which thousands of Marathas, waving saffron flags and chanting “Ek Maratha, Lakh Maratha”, blocked roads in key areas of Mumbai, including CST, Churchgate, Marine Drive and the Eastern and Western Express Highways. Despite Jarange Patil’s repeated appeals for discipline, the rally drew nearly 40,000 participants, far exceeding the government’s 5,000 limit.The agitation reflects long-standing demands of the Maratha community, which constitutes over 30 per cent of Maharashtra’s population. While a 12-13 percent Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) quota was granted in 2018, the Supreme Court struck it down, citing violation of the 50 per cent reservation cap. Jarange Patil has since emerged as a central figure in renewed protests, demanding Kunbi caste certificates for Marathas to access OBC reservation benefits.Earlier, in January 2024, Jarange Patil took out a massive rally to Mumbai. The protest was withdrawn after the state government issued a draft notification that stated that ‘sage soyare’ or blood relatives of a Maratha person having records to show he belongs to the Kunbi community would also be recognised as a Kunbi, an agrarian community that enjoys OBC quota. The protest was then called off in the presence of the then Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, who showed the draft to Jarange Patil.Later during a one-day special session, the Maharashtra Assembly had given 10 per cent SEBC reservation to Marathas. However, Jarange Patil had rejected it.