Days after two of the 54 gates at the Madhopur barrage in Pathankot collapsed while being opened, the Punjab government issued a notice to the private firm, engaged to assess the structure’s strength, Cabinet Minister Barinder Kumar Goyal Saturday said. The notice has been issued to Level 9 Biz Private Limited, which had earlier told the state government that the gates were in perfect condition.Goyal said that the company had submitted a report in December last year stating that the gates would not suffer any damage even if 6.52 lakh cusecs of water was released.“However, the gates failed to manage even half the certified capacity, leading to their collapse and the tragic death of a department employee,” Goyal said, adding this grave lapse has not only exposed negligence but also worsened the crisis. A strict notice has been served to the company and punitive action is being initiated, he said.The minister, who was talking to the media in Chandigarh, said that a tender was floated on March 13, 2024 inviting bids for checking the structural strength of the floodgates at Madhopur barrage. The tender was opened on April 5 and Level 9 Biz Private Limited, being the lowest bidder, was allotted the tender. The company reported to the government on December 16 that the gates were in good condition.Also Read | Nature or negligence? Why the Madhopur barrage gates brokeThe minister also blamed the Centre for “aggravating” the situation in Punjab. He claimed that the timely release of water by the Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) in June could have significantly reduced the devastation. “At that time, Punjab government had demanded release of 29,500 cusecs of water, but BBMB released only 21,500 cusecs. Had water been released as per the demand, then the rain water would have accumulated in the reservoirs by now,” he said.The minister said that while lakhs of people in Punjab continue to suffer, Prime Minister Narendra Modi “has not made a single statement on the crisis, let alone extend any support to the state”.Officials said floods have so far affected 1,018 villages in the state. These include 81 in Pathankot, 52 in Fazilka, 45 in Tarn Taran, 64 in Sri Muktsar Sahib, 22 in Sangrur, 101 in Ferozepur, 107 in Kapurthala, 323 in Gurdaspur, 85 in Hoshiarpur, and 35 in Moga, they said.Story continues below this adGoyal further said due to heavy rainfall in Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir, coupled with the convergence of water from seasonal rivulets into the regulated discharge from the state’s rivers, Punjab is witnessing one of the most devastating floods in its history, far worse than the catastrophic deluge of 1988.He pointed out that although only 2.15 lakh cusecs of water was released into the Ravi river from Ranjit Sagar dam, the additional flow from ‘khuds’ and ‘nullahs’ of adjoining states resulted in massive destruction. The minister said the regulated discharge aggravated by the sudden convergence of floodwaters has surpassed all previous records, causing widespread devastation across seven districts of the state.Also Read | Adverse weather alert in 12 Haryana districts; Congress questions govt seriousnessComparing the situation, Goyal said in 1988, the Ravi river had carried 11.20 lakh cusecs of water, whereas this year it has reached 14.11 lakh cusecs. Out of this, around 2.15 lakh cusecs were released from the Ranjit Sagar dam while the remaining flow came from ‘khuds’, ‘nullahs’ and catchment areas of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab. “This unprecedented surge directly impacted three districts with waters of the Ravi river, while four other districts suffered heavy losses due to floods from Beas and Sutlej rivers, inflicting massive damage to standing crops, livestock and habitation,” he said.Goyal said over 11,330 people have been rescued and shifted to 87 relief camps where food, shelter and medical care were provided. Nearly 110 persons were airlifted from marooned areas with assistance from NDRF, SDRF and Army teams. “The top priority of the Punjab government is to save every life. From senior district officials to patwaris and volunteers, every arm of the government is working on the ground with the people,” he added.Story continues below this adCommenting on the opposition criticising the AAP government, Goyal said this is not the time for a blame game but for united action. He appealed to all political, social and religious leaders to rise above party lines and extend full cooperation in relief operations.He also underlined the need for the states to be empowered with the authority to assess damages and disburse compensation from the national disaster pool since they are closest to ground realities.